Costa Rica Birding, 2016
In May, 2016, my friend Ian Godwin and I took our dads on a Costa Rican birding adventure. We stayed in three different locations over eight days in an attempt to see as much of Costa Rica's diverse environment as possible. We ended up seeing over 200 species, almost all of which were new for us.
Click on items in the map below to explore our adventure! Clicking on the big orange circles will give general area information as well as links to eBird checklists.
- Day 1: Travel day: Arrive at airport, pick up rental car, and make our way to Arenal Tropical Gardens
- Day 2: Full day with bird guide Juan Diego Vargas in the Arenal area
- Day 3: Travel day: Drive north to our second location, Rinconcito Lodge
- Day 4: Full day exploring the Rincon De La Vieja National Park and hot springs
- Day 5: Travel day: Make our way back down the Pan-American Highway to the Cerro Lodge
- Day 6: Full day exploring the Cerro Lodge grounds and Carara National Park
- Day 7: Full day exploring beaches and waterways
- Day 8: Travel day: Make our way back to the airport early for our return flight